Travels (booking and reimbursement)
Business trip travel expenses rules
Reasons for travel expenses for remote team members (even if living close to the office):
- Onboarding/offboarding in the office
- Workshops in the office
- Conference/training in your city
- Team events (2 times a year)
- Real business trip, errands for the office etc.
Voluntary office days, normal team meetings e.g. 1 x week or month etc. can be only be recovered through the income tax return.
Excluded: Employees who always go to the office (office contract) or receive public transport allowance.
Public transport allowance (up to 85,- €): only possible for team members that go to the office at least 3 out of 5 days per week.
Reimbursement is only retroactive for trips from 01.03.2023. Only kilometers travelled or tickets e.g. tram, bus, train can be reimbursed in the travel expense reports. Reimbursement is not possible without a ticket.
If a team member who does not go to the office regularly and only has a private annual ticket (i.e. no public transport subsidy from the company), they cannot claim the costs via the travel expense report. They can only deduct them via income tax.
Rules for train booking
- you have to book the train tickets yourself
- only 2nd class tickets
- choose Sparpreis tickets (not Flexpreis; Sparpreis is a good choice, because one still has the option to cancel the train ride, while that is not possible with Super Sparpreis)
- If possible, try to avoid traveling on Fridays. It’s a heavy commute day, therefore the probability of train delays and failure is higher. If you cannot avoid traveling on a Friday, please book a Flex Ticket one way. It’ll give you a little more flexibility with trains.
- always book a seat as well
- we strongly advise you to plan your trip well in advance to avoid high ticket costs and think your traveling plan through in order to avoid cancellation fees
Travel expenses reimbursement tool
After the trip you will submit the tickets for reimbursement through the travel expenses reimbursement tool. All travel means apply - train, bus, taxi, flights, public transport - as well as travels by car and parking.
For all employees of Thomann GmbH (the Headquarters) or partner companies (eg. Datadice, Sunlab, Coding Pioneers), the rules of the respective company apply. The thomann.io reimbursement tool is not meant for their use.
Meal allowance (Verpflegungsmehraufwand)
The daily meal allowance (Verpflegungsmehraufwand) only applies to travel with overnight stay. Please enter an honest count of the meals that have been paid for by the company (either through the hotel booking or team dinners, company events and alike). If all three meals in a given day have been provided to you by the company, you are not entitled to the meal allowance for that day.
Hotels will be selected and booked by the Orga-Team. The hotels are always booked with breakfast.
Please inform the Orga-Team by email about your business trip. You can find the current persons in charge in Confluence in the
Sites, Teams & Contacts section of the thomann.io space.
The following information is needed:
- Date (arrival and departure)
- Note if no breakfast is required
- Possible allergies or other requirements (for example air conditioning in the summer, working desk in the room,...)
If possible, send hotel booking request to Orga-Team two weeks in advance.